Monday, May 26, 2008

tools of the trade

for the majority of my week, i hold:
this

and stand in front of:
that

but it ain't bad, actually it is the most exciting time of the week for me. putting out dishes and demolishing check times; its just like a game man. being in the weeds sometimes suck a la moment, however, afterwards is the most satisfying time. to know that i put out the food people are paying $20 to $40 for, and know they were satisfied also, well, that's is an accomplishing thought.
5 years ago, when i moved to pittsburgh, i never would have imagined that i'd be where i'm at. if thought i'd be mastering film making and writing plays, but i would not trade in my position for the world. one day i hope to be a chef, but i have plenty of time to master my new art, and work my way to that success.
in 5 months i have worked under two AMAZING chefs, kevin sousa (currently of red room fame) and anthony zallo (formerly of abrio fame) at the bigelow grille, and i have learn an immense amount from them. because of their training and guidance, i have projected my knowledge, become a better cook, and understand cookery better than i ever thought; and i still have a ton to learn.
i'm going to take off the summer from school so i can catch my breath and recuperate from some current stress. i've been in school most of my life, and working full time with school since 2003, and i just need some time to collect my thoughts, reorganize. i felt like i was breaking down; cascading toward a breakdown, and lord knows i don't need that again. so now i am happier and relieved, and looking forward to what the rest of the summer might bring.

No comments: